All other addictions and temptations (cell phone, internet, wallet) stayed behind.
We explored the stunning grandeur of northern Pennsylvania mountains.
It’s Monday and vacation’s over.
Let’s pretend it’s not. Let’s take just fifteen extra minutes before rushing to shower, suit up and jump on the speed bus.
This breakfast says it’s worth it.
~ serves one ~
- 2/3 c. vanilla almond milk (or other milk)
- 2 t. molasses
- 1/3 c. canned pumpkin
- 1 T. ground flax seed
- 1/2 medium ripe banana
- 1 t. cinnamon
- 1/2 t. vanilla extract
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- In a shallow dish, whisk together milk, molasses, pumpkin, and flax. Mash banana and whisk into milk mixture. Stir in cinnamon and vanilla.
- Heat a greased skillet over medium heat.
- While skillet is heating, dip bread in milk mixture until coated on both sides. Don’t let the bread sit and soak in the liquid, or it will get soggy and fall apart.
- Fry bread in skillet until bottom is golden brown and “set”. Flip and repeat on other side.
- Serve with “Pumpkin Cream”: 1T. pumpkin mixed into 2T. plain yogurt with maple syrup and cinnamon. Lick plate clean.
Of course, as long as we’re still extending the vacation weekend, we can top this with whatever we want: whipped cream, ice cream, warm apples, caramel topping, powdered sugar, candied nuts…the ceiling’s the limit.
I made a few extra slices ahead of time to pop into the toaster on a busy weekday morning. To eat in the car and wash down with a travel mug of strong coffee. To bring that vacation sense of adventure to an average kind of day.
I take vacation to my coffee.