At our recital this past Saturday, one of my student’s moms came up to me with a timid smile.
“Our next lesson is scheduled for Tuesday night. That’s Valentines Day. I just wanted to make sure…are you…do you have plans?”
It took me a minute to realize what she was asking, and then I smiled reassuringly. “Oh no, I’m not doing anything”.
“That’s okay”, she leaned in and patted my arm. “My husband and I aren’t doing anything either”.
Sure, Valentines Day isn’t made for the single young woman who spends the night teaching piano lessons and sitting on the couch in a messy bun with my two sisters. But, I’m not going to feel sorry for myself. I have far to much love in my life to feel that I’m missing out. And I’m not going to be left out of celebrating, either. There are more than enough hearts and chocolate to go around, thankyouverymuch.
This Valentines Day, I’m taking care of my heart by feeding on antioxidant rich nuts and fruits. With chocolate, of course. Because, we all know that is the real attraction to the holiday.
Check out the heart-friendly ingredients in this Valentines-inspired, dressed up trail mix:
- Walnuts: Contain the more antioxidants than any other nut. Antioxidants protect cells against damage caused by harmful molecules known as free radicals. The damage can play a role in heart disease and other health conditions.
- Pistachios: A lower-fat nut, full of antioxidants, phytosterols, unsaturated fats and various vitamins and minerals, vitamins, and fiber — all of which work to lower cholesterol and promote heart health
- Cranberries: Cranberries contain no fat, no cholesterol, and very little sodium and are great sources of fiber, flavonoids and polyphenoics.
- CHOCOLATE: The cocoa bean has flavanols that act as anti-inflammatory nd antioxidant agents, keeping blood pressure low and arteries healthy.
I always knew there was a good reason to eat more chocolate!
Because I fully intend to spend Valentine’s Day, bonding with a bowl of this trail mix. With my single ladies. And probably a good book.
Keeping my heart healthy till the day I give it away.
I hope he doesn’t mind if I pick out all the chocolate chips for myself.
Heart-Loving Trail Mix
- 2 c. walnuts
- 1 1/2 c. shelled pistachios
- 2 c. dried cranberries
- 1 c. dark chocolate chips (or more, ;))
- 1 t. dark cocoa powder
- 1/2 t, sea salt
- Mix nuts, cranberries, and chocolate together in a large bowl
- Sift cocoa powder over mix and stir until everything is well “coated”
- Sprinkle with sea salt
Serve with love. Even if you are the only one eating it.
Walk by the $6.99 bagged trail mixes, the racks of Valentines Cards, and the case of red roses with your head held high.
Know that you are loved. Your heart, though single, is full. And happy.